Good afternoon. Here are the top stories so far today.
For more daily and weekly briefings, sign up for our newsletters here.
What happened today:
- 2 people killed at DC senior living facility. Two women were killed in a shooting at a senior living facility outside of Washington, DC, on Friday, police said. Management at Gateway Village National Church Residences in Capitol Heights, Maryland, told NBC Washington that the two victims of the shooting were employees at the facility.
- Afghanistan explosion kills at least 100. A bomb detonated at a crowded mosque in northern Afghanistan on Friday and left scores dead and wounded, according to multiple reports. The blast targeted Shiite Muslim worshippers in the city of Kunduz, and ISIS-K claimed responsibility, according to a tweet from CBS journalist Ahmad Mukhtar.
- Bannon won't comply with subpoena. Steve Bannon, an ex-aide to Donald Trump, heeded the former president's call and refused to comply with a subpoena issued by the House select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection, according to a letter obtained by multiple news outlets. Bannon's attorney said he does not have to fulfill their request for information because of Trump's right to keep information confidential through executive privilege.
- Under constant surveillance. The head of one of Texas' largest abortion providers said her staff has been constantly surveilled - by protesters and "fake patients" - since the state's new abortion restrictions became law on September 1. While a recent injunction has given abortion providers a respite, the law lets people retroactively sue violators for four years, meaning the clinic and its physicians can be sued if the Fifth Circuit of Appeals reverses the decision.
- "A bag of rats." Oscar-winning actor Matthew McConaughey cooled the chances of his running for office in Texas in an interview with The New York Times on Thursday, partially because politics is "a bag of rats," he said. McConaughey, who has polled well in Texas, touched on the pressure he's received from across the political spectrum to run for office.
That's all for now. See you Monday.
Title: Top Stories this PM: 2 people killed at DC seniors' facility; TX abortion clinic surveilled by 'fake patients'
Sourced From: feedproxy.google.com/~r/businessinsider/politics/~3/5NG11RXAnvQ/latest-news-tx-abortion-clinic-surveilled-by-fake-patients-2021-10
Published Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 19:42:52 +0000